Monday, April 15, 2013

I remember thinking during my first day, “Wow, this is what school should be!”

This week’s Marvelous Monday features another one of our AMAZING volunteers. (April is volunteer appreciation month!) We are fortunate in that some of our volunteers are retired teachers. Their teaching expertise adds so much to the classroom. Ann taught kindergarten for many years and upon her retirement, offered to help us out during a particularly busy time in the classroom...seven years ago! 

Ann starts each week in the RMH school. 
Ann writes…….
 
     As a newly retired teacher, a classroom was the last place I expected to be spending my free time. I was invited to help out for a “short time” while the classroom was at capacity in the fall of 2005. Well, here I am 7 ½ years later. It’s been a pleasure to start my week each Monday with the Ronald McDonald House students, listening to their “Positrations” and being part of a warm, supportive community.

      I remember thinking during my first day, “Wow, this is what school should be!” This is the classroom model that professors promoted when I was in grad school: small student numbers, 1 to 1 support, each student learning at his or her own pace with time and opportunity to explore individual interests. It’s all there in the Ronald McDonald House School. I love watching the students of different ages and cultures interacting as they learn. Not only do these students (who have been yanked from home and school) keep up with their studies, they blossom and move ahead or conquer a skill that has challenged or frustrated them.

     All the Marvelous Monday posts highlight the classroom’s positive and supportive climate. Mrs. Britain and Mrs. Hoops set that tone at the beginning of each day with “Positrations." It helps us all adults and children, look for and appreciate bright spots in our days. Mrs. Britain and Mrs. Hoops also use “Positrations” to help the students cope with incredibly difficult circumstances. For example, a student might share that a sibling had trouble breathing overnight and is back in the hospital. You can see the teachers process the information and then say something like: “Can I write down “The doctors are helping Sam breathe?" The student will nod and you can see his or her entire body relax.

     Volunteering in the classroom is fun! I was an elementary school teacher so interacting with teenagers has been a blast. They continue to educate me in academics and pop culture. Meeting children from all over the country and the world, I’ve learned about Argentina, Peru, Ireland, Senegal, India, Hawaii, ranching, surfing, hockey, hunting . . . And I love watching newbies experience Minnesota winters. Winter becomes a lot more tolerable when you get to watch kids play in their first snow.

     I’ve volunteered in many organizations and had a variety of experiences. I’d like to thank the staff of the Ronald McDonald House School and the entire organization for making my time in the classroom and around the House such a positive experience. I’ve felt welcomed, respected and appreciated.

Thank you, Ann. We are so grateful for your dedication to our RMH students and teachers. What an incredible impact you've had on our community. You know the saying" Teachers don't ever retire?" We're honored that in your case, it was true.
 
Classroom volunteers give our students the one-on-one attention necessary to help them thrive through a difficult time.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your story with us! Thank you for being there for Louis and his Mom and Dad and for the all children that you teach. It is a such a comfort to know that Lydia, Neil and Louis are in such a caring, supportive community while they are going through this trying time in their lives! Mary and Pete Pietruszewski (Louis' Grandma and Grandpa in Bemidji!)

    ReplyDelete