Monday, April 8, 2013

"For me, the school was more than a classroom. It was a life-changing experience."


This week’s Marvelous Monday post recognizes a former student, Mimi. In 2005, Mimi and her family came to Minnesota from Amman, Jordan for treatment for Mimi’s youngest brother, Ahmad. Ahmad battled an aggressive form of leukemia. Mimi participated in the summer activities program with her family, and then in September, she enrolled in school as an 11th grader.
Mimi came to the RMH in 2005 for her brother's medical care. 

Mimi reflects on her time at RMH…
 
“The minute we entered the RMH we found the support, help, and love that we wouldn't have had anywhere else. When we discovered there was a school at the House, we were really surprised. For me, the school was more than a classroom. It was a life-changing experience. Since I come from the Middle East, my education was mainly in Arabic except for English language classes."

“At the RMH school, I was off to a good start on language skills, and in no time I was able to handle the normal curriculum for students my age. Without the hard work and dedication of Mrs. Cindy and the volunteers, it would not have been possible. The classroom environment helped me cope and kept my mind off what my family was going through. Even just a short break every day made a difference."

 “For a couple of hours each day, I was able to talk with people, learn new things and enjoy my time like other girls my age. At that time I was 16 years old. In the classroom, I found support on hard days. On good days, I found people to share my happiness and reason to celebrate. Mrs. Cindy always started our day on a positive note – sometimes asking a question, which helped me see the good things going on in my life. I would intentionally do things or go somewhere to have something good to say the following day in the classroom when Mrs. Cindy asked her question of the day. I had such a unique experience at the RMH school."

 “I’ll forever treasure the memories of the special people I met, the education and the memories. I recollect all and whenever the occasion rises, I tell people here in Jordan how kind, supportive and generous you were to us and everyone who entered the House. Despite the gravity of the situation, you made it so much easier for the families. The school was right down the stairs! You guys are amazing! I always think of volunteering and being able to give back part of the care, love and affection that you guys have given me and my family.”

Mimi has remained in contact, as many students do, with Mrs. Britain. After returning home to Jordan, Mimi completed secondary school and has now graduated from college and is working as an architect. Sadly, Mimi’s bother lost his battle with leukemia and while we mourn Ahmad’s passing, we celebrate her accomplishments and are so grateful that she and her family are forever part of our RMHC family.


Ahmad may have lost his battle, but he remains forever in our hearts.

1 comment: