Monday, March 25, 2013

The Whole Year!


In today’s Marvelous Monday post celebrating our school, we’re excited to feature another student! A handful of times over the past 15 years, students have been enrolled with us for the entire school year. Although it is uncommon, it is not unexpected due to the extreme medical conditions that bring families to stay with us. At the Ronald McDonald House on Oak Street, the average length of stay is longer than any other Ronald McDonald House in the world!

Alyssa’s family lived at the RMH for 219 nights. Alyssa’s younger sister, Gracie, was born with Down Syndrome and the first years of her life were occupied by many medical complications. During Alyssa’s time with us, she was involved in many House activities. Every Monday night was Nintendo Wii time. Alyssa and her RMH friend, Ky,  loved to dance! They would boogie the night away competing with other kids and our staff. Katy could keep up...Persis not so much! During the winter, school recess is either in the gym or the game room. There is a fabulous Dance Dance Revolution game in the game room which Alyssa mastered. Her feet never missed a step! Alyssa also participated in one of our Sibling Camps at Faith’s Lodge. This is a 3-day trip specifically for the siblings of patients. Time is spent having fun, feeling special, having adventures and celebrating the wonderful job siblings do. 

Alyssa (currently back home in North Dakota and in the 4th grade) shares:
Alyssa and her family lived at the RMH for over 200 nights. 
I have so many memories of going to school at the Ronald McDonald House! I spent my entire first grade year at the Ronald McDonald House School! I loved that I was able to go to school and still be close to my family. Our classroom was set up just like any other classroom; the only difference was there were all different aged kids. It was a one-room school house just like on “Little House on the Prairie!”  I loved Mrs. Britain! She always made me feel special and gives great hugs! Mrs. Hoops always had a warm smile on her face and that really encouraged me. It was so nice to be able to go to school with other kids who had sick brothers and sisters, or were patients themselves. We all understood how hard it was. I loved Persis [Director of Family Services] because she gave me Beads of Courage and always took the time to see if I was alright and to check on Gracie. We got to do some super neat activities in school. I especially liked Wordily Wise, Positrations, Jerry coming to school, and our many field trips. I learned so much! I loved lunch too. We had great food and the volunteers were so nice to us. Our classroom was like a big family. Together we celebrated the happy times, the scary times and the sad times. Towards the end of the year, I was the only student left. Mrs. Britain, Mrs. Hoops and Persis made me feel extra special and always gave me the hope that one day I would be able to return home."

Alyssa (4th grade | Age 10)
North Dakota

What an incredible perspective! Thank you, Alyssa, for sharing with us! Thank you for being a great kid, a great student, a great dancer and a great big sister! And guess what? Alyssa is a big sister again! In December, her family welcomed another baby girl!


No comments:

Post a Comment