Thursday, June 3, 2010

Why I love to work at RMHC - My Office Window

I know it might seem like an odd reason to love a workplace - my love of my office window. Not only is it great that I actually have an office and not a cubicle, something very rare these days, but I also have windows in my office. They are even better than standard office windows because I can open and close them too, again rare in office settings.
But the real reason I love my office window is that it looks out at the RMH parking lot. Strange, again I know. But you'd be amazed how much activity goes on there and how much you can learn about the families staying here. I get to witness new families arriving and finding their way into our doors. I have watched families take trip after trip from their room with belongings and BINGO prizes as they prepare to return home. But what I like most, is seeing families interact. Earlier this year I watched with amusement as a dad struggled to put together a double stroller for his newborn twins while his toddler sat and giggled at him. It was nice to see him realize his actions were entertaining his daughter, even when he seemed so frustrated. He eventually got the stroller together and let her push it around the parking lot for a test drive. Just tonight my heart was warmed when I watched as a father arrived from home and was greeting by his son, running and jumping into his arms. I don't know how long this family has been apart from each other, but that hug showed me the love between their family. It is a wonderful thing we do here, provide a place for families to be together.
It is for this reason and many more that make it easy to love working at RMHC.

No comments:

Post a Comment